A mobile application is a software program you can download and access directly using your smart phone or a mobile device. However, not all applications work on all mobile devices.
The Android, Apple, Microsoft and BlackBerry mobile operating systems have application stores online where you can download and install applications. If you have a smart phone, you can use mobile applications to play games, access news, books, weather, and more.
Mobile apps can be so much fun and so convenient that you might download them without thinking about how they are paid for, what information they may gather, or who gets that information.If you’re looking for more tips, click here
When you download mobile apps from an online store, the mobile applications may be able to access:
- Phone and email contacts
- call logs
- internet data
- calendar data
- Information about the device’s location
- the device’s unique IDs
- information about how you use the application
Free mobile apps make money in the following ways:
- Some sell advertising space within the mobile application. The developers can earn money from the ads, so they distribute the app for free to reach as many users as possible.
- Some mobile apps offer their basic versions for free. Their developers hope you will upgrade to a paid version.
- Some apps allow you to buy more features within the mobile application itself.
- Some apps are offered free to interest you in a company.
Some mobile applications use location data to give you maps, coupons for nearby stores, or information about who you might know nearby. Some provide location data to ad networks, which may combine it with other information in their databases to target ads based on your interests and your location.
Once a mobile app has your permission to access your location data, it can do so until you change the settings on your smart phone. If you do not want to share your location, you can turn off location services in your smart phone. But if you do that, apps won’t be able to give you information based on your location.
Mobile apps developed by firms are notching up millions of downloads on online stores. Recently, a mobile application developed by a gaming company was the toast of the mobile world as it emerged as the topmost application across the US and UK, notching up 10 million downloads by users of Apple devices. A clutch of mobile application development companies are emerging as trendsetters on the global stage.